Reporting an accident

The most important thing after an accident is to get better as quickly as possible. But it’s just as important to quickly report the accident – whether it happened in Switzerland or abroad. Use the accident form for this.

Who should I report the accident to?

  • If you work more than eight hours per week for the same employer, you are insured against both occupational and non-occupational accidents through that employer’s accident insurance. If you have an accident, inform your employer immediately.
  • Children, unemployed persons and pensioners have accident cover under their health insurance. You can report the accident using our online form.
  • You can also report the dental accident using our “Reporting an accident online” service. If you have an accident that causes tooth damage, contact your dentist as soon as possible. They will fill out the “Tooth damage: Findings / cost estimate (KVG)” form and submit it to us along with the relevant documents. Only then will we be informed of the incident and any accident-related tooth damage can be assessed. You can also find all the information you need in the “Information on dental accidents” brochure.
  • If you are self-employed, report the accident to your accident insurer.
  • If you are unemployed and receiving unemployment benefits, you’re automatically insured against accidents by Suva. If you have an accident, inform your local unemployment insurance office.

Report accidents online

You can easily report the accident via myHelsana.

Get moving faster with myHelsana

Are you familiar with myHelsana? With the client portal, you can take care of all your health insurance matters conveniently from anywhere.

Register now for myHelsana

Accidents abroad: what you need to do

If you have an accident abroad, we need to receive the form «Enquiry regarding accident or illness during a stay abroad». You can report the accident using our “Reporting an accident online” service.

If you would prefer to notify us by post, you can find our form here. Please send the documents to the following address:

Helsana Insurance Company Ltd,
Customer Service International
PO Box
8081 Zurich

Important information about reporting accidents

Yes, tick bites and wasp stings are considered accidents.

Yes, if the accident is covered by the basic insurance policy, you will be billed for your share of the costs. The Swiss Federal Health Insurance Act stipulates that, in the event of an accident, compulsory health insurance covers the same benefits as for illnesses.

Recourse is the right to claim compensation. To be precise, it relates to the right to claim back the cost of services provided (treatment costs) or the uncovered costs (uninsured benefits) directly from the party that caused the accident or from their liability insurance.

Display all questions

Do you have questions?

We're here to help.

Contact us