Who receives a premium reduction?

If you live in modest financial circumstances, you are entitled to a premium reduction. But what exactly does that mean? Find out everything you need to know about this financial contribution to your premium.

Nahaufnahme einer lachenden Frau mit See im Hintergrund

Your way to premium reduction: The most important facts at a glance

  • 1. You obtain information from your canton of residence
  • 2. You submit your premium reduction application to your canton of residence
  • 3. The canton reviews the application
  • 4. The canton informs Helsana
  • 5. Helsana adjusts the premium amount
  1. Find out about the requirements from the competent office in your canton of residence.
  2. Submit an application to the competent office in your canton of residence. Please note the deadlines.
  3. The canton will review your application. Duration: up to 3 months.
  4. If your application is accepted, the canton informs Helsana.
  5. The corrected premium or a credit note for overpaid premiums will appear on your next invoice. Duration: max. 1 month. As soon as Helsana is informed about the decision, we will adjust your premium or you will receive a credit for overpaid premiums.

Contact: steps 1-4: Your responsible canton, Step 5: Helsana

Competent offices in the cantons

  • Competent office: SVA Aargau
  • Procedure: The SVA Aargau sends people who might be entitled to a premium reduction a code through the post, which they can then use to apply online.
  • Deadline: 31 December of the previous year

  • Competent office: Sozialversicherungen Appenzell Ausserrhoden
  • Procedure: If you are entitled to a premium reduction, you submit the application form to the AHV branch office in the municipality you live in.
  • Deadline: 31 March

  • Competent office: Canton of Appenzell Innerrhoden Health Office (Gesundheitsamt)
  • Procedure: If you’re entitled, the authorities will find out for you. If you think you’re entitled to a premium reduction but haven’t been notified about this, you can ask the AHV branch office in your municipality for an application form.
  • Deadline: 31 March

  • Competent office: SVA Basel-Landschaft
  • Procedure: The Canton will find out who is entitled as a matter of course. All you then need to do is complete the application form with any details that aren’t already on it, sign it and send it back.
  • Deadline: One year after receiving the form

  • Competent office: Amt für Sozialbeiträge (Social Insurance Contributions Office)
  • Procedure: If you are entitled to a premium reduction, you submit the application form to the Amt für Sozialbeiträge (Social Insurance Contributions Office).
  • Deadline: none
Display all questions

Who is eligible for a premium reduction?

You can claim an individual premium reduction if you have taken out compulsory health insurance (basic insurance) from a health insurer recognised by the Swiss federal government and your income and assets are low enough to qualify you for financial support. The premium reduction is granted by the canton and varies from canton to canton.

Good to know

You can also claim a premium reduction if you live in an EU country, Iceland or Norway, draw a pension from Switzerland and meet certain requirements. You can obtain further information from Stiftung Gemeinsame Einrichtung KVG.

By how much is the premium reduced?

Among other things, the amount of the individual premium reduction depends on the total taxable income, place of residence and age of the insured person.

Good to know

From the age of 18, the total taxable income applies, even if the insured person still lives in the parental household and is insured under the same contract.

Young adults’ premiums are reduced by more during their initial education.

There is no entitlement to a premium reduction if private health insurance is interrupted during military service.

Who receives the premium reduction?

The cantons process the individual premium reduction directly through the insurers. The amount is deducted from the insurance premium directly.

Good to know

If the premium subsidy has not yet been deducted from your premium invoice two months after receipt of the decree, please contact the competent office in your canton of residence. You should nevertheless pay the premium invoice on time in order to avoid a reminder. Once we receive confirmation from the canton, we will send you the correction/credit for the excess premium paid with the next invoice.

Where can you sign up for the premium reduction?

Some local authorities use tax factors, including taxable income and assets, to determine which residents can claim an individual premium reduction. The canton then sends the eligible persons a pre-printed application form, which they can simply sign and return.

Other local authorities require insured persons to enquire about their eligibility for a premium reduction themselves.

Good to know

  • If you switch health insurance, the competent office in your canton of residence will automatically forward the information about your premium reduction to your new health insurance company.
  • If you receive supplementary benefits on top of the AHV or IV pension, you don’t need to apply for a premium reduction.
  • Under the Federal Health Insurance Act, we are not permitted to disclose the premium reduction on the policy. This means you will not see the reduction until you receive your premium invoice.

Do you have questions?

We're here to help.

Contact us