Car accident abroad

Car accidents abroad can be a challenge. How to make sure you take the right steps.

In some cases, the laws in other countries work differently than in Switzerland. Learn what to do when you drive abroad before your trip. As a general rule:

  • Make sure the accident location is secure: turn your hazard lights on, put on your safety vest and place the warning triangle in a clearly visible location.
  • Check to see if anyone has been injured.
  • For accidents in which someone has been injured: if necessary, call the emergency services and provide first aid.
  • Check to see if there is any damage to the vehicle. Photograph the damage.
  • If the parties cannot come to an agreement, call the police.
  • Complete the European Accident Statement and report the incident to your insurance company.
Facts and tips about first aid

Good to know

The legal review of the accident is carried out in accordance with the laws of the country where the accident occurred. In the event of a dispute, you must assert your claim locally. It is therefore advisable to take out motorists’ legal expenses cover.

Never sign a document written in a language you do not understand. This does not apply to the European Accident Statement. It is structured the same in all languages.

Do not admit any liability at the scene of the accident.

European Accident Statement

The European Accident Statement is a standardised form. Its content and structure are the same in all languages, making it a good translation aid. In the event of an accident, the statement will help you to collect all of the information that is relevant for insurance purposes. In addition to the accident details and the damages incurred, enter the personal details for all of the parties involved.

You can request the European Accident Statement from your insurance company or the police.

Example of a European Accident Statement (this example may not be used, in German)

The following equipment should always be in your car:

  • European Accident Statement
  • Safety vests for all passengers
  • Warning triangle
  • First aid kit

Whom do you need to notify?

  • Accident or health insurance provider: report any injuries that occurred as a result of the car accident.
  • Comprehensive insurance provider: covers damages to the vehicle.
  • Helsana Emergency Call Centre: we provide the hospital with a cost approval so you don’t have to pay a deposit. If repatriation to your place of residence is necessary for medical reasons, we will arrange it for you as part of your insurance coverage.
  • Breakdown assistance or travel insurance: if necessary, this insurance will organise vehicle transport.
  • Legal expenses insurance: in the event claims are asserted against you.
Registration of legal expenses case

Motorists’ legal expenses cover with Helsana Advocare EXTRA

You get up to CHF 1 million per case for legal expenses and court costs in the case of motoring-related disputes. You get up to CHF 100,000 outside Europe.
The following are some of the disputes covered:
  • Enforcement of claims for damages
  • Disputes arising from contracts
  • Defence in criminal proceedings

Do you have questions?

We're here to help.

Contact us