Overview of insurance products

Useful information for cross-border commuters subject to compulsory insurance in Switzerland

Am I a cross-border commuter/pensioner?

Cross-border commuters are people who live in an EU/EFTA country, but work in Switzerland and have a cross-border commuter permit (G permit). Swiss citizens who live outside of Switzerland do not require a G permit. Pensioners are also resident in an EU/EFTA country and receive a pension from Switzerland (AHV, IV, UV, BV).

Can I insure my family in Switzerland?

Yes, provided that neither of the parents is employed, registered unemployed or receiving a pension in the country of residence. If one of the parents is employed, registered unemployed or receiving a pension in the country of residence, all non-employed children must be/remain insured with this parent in the country of residence.

Please note: If you would like to have your non-employed family members insured in Switzerland, they must be insured with you by the same health insurer (premiums charged per person). Family members are defined as spouses, children up to age 18 and dependent children up to age 25.

Where can I obtain medical treatment?

Cross-border commuters, pensioners and their co-insured family members can choose to obtain medical treatment in accordance with the applicable statutory benefits either in their country of residence or in Switzerland.

If the treatment is provided in Switzerland, Swiss law applies, i.e. the benefits catalogue and cost contributions for compulsory basic insurance apply under the Swiss Health Insurance Act (KVG). If the treatment is provided in the country of residence, the local statutory benefits and cost sharing rules apply.

How can I have my benefits processed?

We will send you two forms and instructions for obtaining benefits assistance abroad. To register, you must submit these to a statutory health insurer in your country of residence. You will then receive an insurance card with which you can claim all medical benefits according to the statutory benefits catalogue in your country of residence.

You will also receive a Swiss health insurance card from us. This enables you to obtain medications prescribed for you by Swiss doctors on a non-cash basis in Swiss pharmacies. Whenever you wish to receive treatment in Switzerland, you must always present your health insurance card. If you are invoiced directly for medical or hospital expenses, you must pay them and then submit them to Helsana for reimbursement.

Good to know: If you suffer an acute illness or emergency during a temporary stay abroad in an EU/EFTA country, you are covered by health insurance in accordance with the relevant national legislation. Please also present your Helsana health insurance card in this case.

What notice periods must I take into account?
In the event of marriage, divorce, the death of a spouse or the birth of a child, cross-border commuters from Austria, Germany and Italy are granted the right to choose where they are insured. These persons therefore have another opportunity to be exempted from compulsory health insurance in Switzerland.
Welche Kündigungsfristen muss ich berücksichtigen?

If you are already insured in Switzerland and would like to switch to another Swiss health insurer, you must comply with the statutory termination dates (31 March and 30 November). The actual change can then take place at the end of the half-year period (either 30 June or 31 December). Please note that your termination must be submitted in writing and must be received by your current health insurer by the last working day before the notice period expires.

If you are a cross-border commuter from Austria, Germany or Italy and want to switch to an insurer in your country of residence, you must first be exempted from compulsory Swiss insurance. You can request this via the responsible authority in the Swiss canton where your employer is located. However, exemption from compulsory insurance is only permitted in the event of a change of family circumstances, e.g. marriage, divorce, birth of a child or death of a spouse. Otherwise, the health insurance cover in Switzerland cannot be terminated.

I am leaving my job in Switzerland: What do I need to do?

If you terminate your employment relationship in Switzerland and/or become unemployed, for example, you are no longer subject to compulsory insurance in Switzerland. In this case you must terminate your insurance as of the end of your employment without any notice period. For this, we need the following documents:

  • A letter of termination addressed to your health insurer within the Helsana Group, stating the reason for withdrawal
  • A copy of the confirmation of termination of your employment contrac

l am retiring: What do I need to do?

If you retire and cease to work in Switzerland, you may terminate your insurance subject to certain conditions. However, since pension payments are still subject to compulsory insurance in Switzerland, it is best to contact our Customer Service directly.

Find out for yourself

You can calculate your monthly contribution quickly and easily here: