What to do in the event of a claim

Accident in Switzerland

You've had an accident in Switzerland

Please tell us about your accident at your earliest convenience, providing as much detail as possible.

Online form (for adults and children)

Accident - who is responsible?

We’re committed to supporting you: you recover and let us worry about the costs.

  1. Employees
  2. Children, nemployed persons and pensioners
  3. Self-employed individuals


Unfall Arbeitnehmende In general, if you work more than eight hours per week for the same employer, that employer’s accident insurance covers you against non-occupational and occupational accidents.

The employer’s HR office can register you if necessary.

If you are unemployed and receiving unemployment benefits, you’re auto- matically insured against accidents by SUVA.

The responsible unemployment insur- ance can register you if necessary.

Savings tip: you can exclude “accident cover” from your health insurance.


Children, nemployed persons and pensioners


Helsana often pays for the medical treatment of insured persons following damage caused by a third party, for example skiing or road accidents. The liability insurance of the party that caused the accident has to cover these costs.

Helsana processes the case and deter- mines whether costs can be reclaimed (recourse).

Savings tip: if recourse is successful, the insured person can reclaim the deductible and the excess from the liability insurance.


Self-employed individuals

Frau-Mann-selbststaendig can volun- tarily buy insurance from an accident insurer or include “accident” in their health insurance policy.

If you terminate an employment rela- tionship, i.e. if the entitlement to 50% of the salary lapses, you can conclude an extension of insurance for a maxi- mum of six months.

You can apply for an extension of insur- ance with your former accident insurer. Then you will have accident insurance during these six months.

Always report accidents to Helsana as soon as possible.

Savings tip: you can exclude “accident cover” from your health insurance, provided you have concluded accident insurance.