The Helsana Group is the leading health and accident insurer in Switzerland. It offers individuals and companies a complete health and prevention service in the event of sickness and accidents.
"As the saying goes, a jug can be brought to the well until it breaks. Today is the day it will break!" exclaimed a disgruntled member at the general meeting of the Allgemeine Schweizerische Krankenkasse in 1899. This vote of discontent led to action. 83 people attended the founding meeting of Schweizerische Krankenkasse Helvetia on 10 December 1899.
Today, the Helsana Group insures nearly 1.9 million people. Once a traditional health insurer, the Group has developed into a full-service provider of personal insurance for private individuals and companies – with a premium income of 5.7 billion Swiss francs. But one thing hasn't changed since the company was founded back in 1899: the idea of doing things better.
- 1899 Helvetia founded as a health insurer in Zurich.
- 1914 Helvetia is recognized under the Swiss Health and Accident Insurance Act (Kranken- und Unfallversicherungsgesetz).
- 1928 The number of Helvetia members passes the 100,000 mark.
- 1952 The health insurer Artisana is established as a society in Bern.
- 1971 The number of Helvetia members passes the one million mark.
- 1991 Helvetia takes over the health insurer Progrès.
- 1996 Helvetia and Artisana found Helsana Versicherungen AG on 1 January 1997.
- 2003 Sansan and Avanex are founded.
- 2006 Helsana takes over the health insurer Aerosana.
- 2008 Establishment of Maxi.ch.
- 2010 Progrès and Aerosana merge on 1 January 2011.
- 2010 The HSK organisation (Helsana, Sanitas and KPT) for purchasing outpatient health and inpatient hospital services is formed.
- 2016 Maxi.ch merges with Avanex.
- 2017 Merger of Avanex with Helsana and Sansan with Progrès.