Cover abroad – what should you do in an emergency?

Do you have adequate insurance cover for your stay abroad? Check it out yourself now by reading the answers to the most important questions.

Do I have enough insurance cover in case of emergency while abroad too?

In case of medically necessary treatment in EU and EFTA Member States, benefits are paid in accordance with the basic insurance legislation of the country you are staying in. If you pay the invoice on site, you can subsequently submit it to Helsana for checking. In all other countries abroad, a maximum of twice the amount of costs is covered which would be incurred in Switzerland for the same treatment. If you have taken out any of the supplementary insurance products Top, Completa, Omnia or World, you will be reimbursed for the full costs worldwide in the general ward which exceed the benefits covered by basic insurance. The costs for essential repatriation to Switzerland are also covered.

What do I have to do in case of emergency while abroad?

Show your insurance card in EU and EFTA Member States in exactly the same way as you would in Switzerland. State-recognised hospitals and doctors accept them and can settle the costs directly. If you are in a non-EU or non-EFTA Member State or if you require additional assistance, just contact the Helsana Emergency Call Centre. The number is printed on your insurance card. What to do in case of an accident: if you work for the same employer for at least eight hours a week, you are insured against occupational and non-occupational accidents via your employer. It is therefore important that you inform your employer as quickly as possible if you have an accident abroad.

Committed to providing you with fast assistance abroad

If you need us when you are abroad, our all-round coverage also includes a 24/7 emergency hotline: transport, rescue costs, outpatient and inpatient treatment, or repatriation to Switzerland.  helsana.ch/abroad

How much would repatriation to Switzerland cost me if I did not have supplementary insurance?

It depends entirely on where you are. Repatriation by air ambulance jet costs between 20,000, for example from Greece, and 100,000 Swiss francs, for instance from Thailand or the USA.

What do I need to look out for if I travel abroad at short notice?

In order to take out any of the supplementary insurance products Top, Completa and Omnia, you have to complete a health declaration. It takes four to six weeks to check it. The World product is suitable if you travel abroad at short notice: it is possible to take it out without completing a health declaration as of the first of the following month in each case.

How does the Helsana Emergency Call Centre support me?

We are here for you 24 hours a day and take the immediate measures required. If you require repatriation to Switzerland, we can arrange it for you and assume the costs. However, you can also count on us to help you find a doctor or hospital wherever you happen to be – quickly, reliably and without any red tape.

What else do I need to think about when I travel abroad?

If you have to apply for a visa, you need confirmation from your health insurance company for this purpose. Also make sure you take a well-equipped travel first-aid kit with you and always have your insurance card on you.

Our Customer Service International will be happy to advise you: +41 (0)58 340 18 80 (Mon.–Fri. 8 am to 5 pm)

24-hour Emergency Call Centre: +41 (0)58 340 16 11

More information on our supplementary insurance products is available at




Cover abroad: Customers recount their emergencies

With cover abroad you can travel anywhere with peace of mind. Read two testimonials from our customers to find out why this cover is so valuable.

Emergency in Zillertal Valley

A skiing accident thwarted the holiday plans of Alice Herrmann and Erwin Achleitner.

Topics containing this article

Travelling abroad

18 Post

Facts and tips on coronavirus

10 Post