Accident-related tooth damage

Accident-related tooth damage

«My son tripped over a rock while playing and broke one of his teeth. What needs to be done to save the tooth? And who will pay the dental costs?»

Children are constantly on the move, and often play about without paying attention to potential dangers. Incidents can occur in a flash: your child trips or falls, and a tooth is dislodged, shifts or a part breaks off.

What next?
Immediate action In the case of heavy bleeding, have your child bite down on a piece of gauze or a handkerchief. Apply ice to the outside of the face where the wound is located.
Tooth is dislodged or shifted Do not touch the tooth. Go to a dentist or dental clinic immediately.
Tooth broken off Put the piece of tooth that has broken off – if you have it – in a small container of water and seek out a dentist or a dental clinic immediately.
Tooth knocked out Put the tooth that has been knocked out into a tooth saver box, available from pharmacies and dental practices. If you do not have a box like this, put the tooth in cold milk. Seek out a dentist or a dental clinic immediately. Important: Do not clean the tooth that has been knocked out, and do not handle it by the root. Keep it moist.

We recommend that you contact a dental practice straight away. This is the only way you can ensure that your insurance will cover any consequential damage. This damage may not appear until several years down the line.

What can Helsana do for you?

Accident-related tooth damage is when a tooth is damaged by external physical impact, for example a blow or jolt. Tooth diseases such as caries are not classified as an accident. Helsana pays the costs for accident-related dental treatments under basic insurance, provided these are not assumed by another insurance policy (e.g. accident insurance). This is subject to the condition that you have included accident cover in your basic insurance.

What to do in the event of accident-related tooth damage